PEI Pollination Services
Honey Bee Pollination Services on PEI
It’s a fact, honey bees are necessary for large scale pollination as they provide the pollination force needed for proper fruit set and volume.
We provide pollination services for the following fruit crops and here are the suggested hive densities associated with each fruit crop.
- Apples – 1 hive per acre
- Cranberries – 3 hives per acre
- Blueberries – 2.5 hives per acre
- Raspberries – 1 hive per acre
- Strawberries – 1 hive per acre
- Haskap Berry – 5 hives per acre
- Pumpkin – 1 hive per acre
- Squash – 1 hive per acre
In some instances, it’s beneficial to pair up pollination with bumblebees as they provide what is called “buzz pollination”. This helps the honey bee collect and distribute stubborn pollen from blossoms that are otherwise hard for the honeybee to get to.
All of our hives before going into any field for pollination will have the minimum standard.
- 4-6 frames of brood consisting of 65% brood coverage
- 6-8 frames of bees covering 10 frames
- 1 laying queen
- 2 frames of honey
There is no guarantee of hive availability for fruit crops. Please fill out the following form to let us know what your pollination needs are. We also have access to hives outside of our own apiary which we can source for you.